Magazine course work front page/cover and double spread( blog on work progress )

Since the last time blogged about science magazines and their history, this time I want to convey my experience in making my science magazine. Since the course work only asks you to do the front page contents page and the double spread, I  will only be delving into that for this magazine.

How to get started?!

As the subheading suggests the first thought in my head was "how do I get started ?".
Between the double spread and the contents page I was debating in head on which picture to put where. I had the experiment's image already planned in my head, but I was not sure on where to put it.
The next thing I did was that I decided no matter which would be the cover and which would end up being the double spread, I had to first have the sketches of the picture and concept idea of the drawing. So while listening to music I worked on the experiment fist as that was a clear cut thing to do.This was because, the experiment sketch  is just a drawing of the picture to show my plan.
I made sure, and I could not anyway take the picture and then draw it. If I had done this, it would not have been much of a pre-plan. (But at this point  even if I wanted to I could not have taken the picture as the necessary material for the experiment had not yet arrived.)

What did I do after getting hold of a starting point ?

As I mentioned earlier I finished drawing the set up for the experiment, but did not talk about what the set up was. The set up consists of 2 beakers, a siphoning tube ( a clear pipe/tube ) , water and some tape. I drew this set up with the background of grass as I wanted to keep the focus on the surroundings to the bare minimum and wanted clear attention on the set up.

Next, I drew a picture of a guy holding balloons and flying away from the city. I drew this as I wanted to convey that science can make things possible and exploring the subject with dedication is
how you'll come to discover a variety of  things. In terms of art I think it ended up pretty good, the clouds I made sure were fluffy and wavey  to represent the organic style of nature.
But, I  made sure to make the cities very rigid, but also have some elements like shrubs and trees.

I personally think if I do a digital version of this it will look really beautiful but if I need to make the coloring in the paper version and redraw it that is also quite fine!
I am currently working on the text part of it and even though I have the skeleton of the sketch ready I still need to organize and make it easy to understand so it is going to take some time!

But when I am done with that I'll make a post about it!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ryo Onishi :The animator who can bring life to the characters

UNREAL-BUT-REAL-MAGAZINE-SUBMISSION

Sound editing, so how was it for me ?